Some thoughts I had while sitting in church tonight. It is incomplete, but it's some of what I'm thinking.
----------------------------
The God who I learned about while growing up, is a bias God. A God who built an organization whose motto should be "Everyone is welcome and loved here if...". The, as I will call him "God of the church", loves some while he simultaneously hates others. He's a living contradiction. I have learned in church that God's love is continuous and unconditional, but how can that be if he only loves you if you are or trying to be this specific type person?
I can only come up with two explanations of this dichotomy of what the bible says and what I have learned in church. The first reason is that the picture of God that the church has presented me fits with reality and is true; in which case, I don't know that I like God...I mean why should I like or love him if he doesn't love or like me? The second explanation is that they picture the church has presented is a lie, God isn't really conditional. And in this case, I don't know why I would want to be apart of an organization that promotes a lie.
Right now, I feel like I am almost in a type of limbo. According to the church, God will and does love me if I do/strive to do/become X,Y, and Z; but the question in my heart and mind right now is "Does God love me right now? Does he love me even though I don't fit into the mold that I have been taught I "should" fit into?"
No comments:
Post a Comment