Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Emmy

This past week I have been in a funk, just been down and bummy and locked inside myself; and didn't know how to talk about it; and I still don't.  So, I'm going to do the next best thing in my world....talk about my best friend Emily.
Come June 19th I will have known Emily for six years (the longest/closest relationship I have).  We met at a church camp after my senior year of high school in 2005.  At first we both had ulterior motives for talking to each other, but by the end of the week we were as I called it once "soul sisters" and Emily knew more about me than anyone up to that point in my life, but that's another story. 
Though I didn't consciously realize it at first, Emily had been and still very much is an answer to prayer.  When I went to camp that year, I felt misunderstood judged and very alone in the world and even though I don't think I ever ACTUALLY prayed specifically for this, there was a part of me that hoped I would someday find someone who wasn't fooled by the tough girl motif and was able to understand the things that, up to that point, I didn't feel I could tell anyone about...and I found that in Emily.  I don't think I ever really fooled her for a minute (she can correct me if I am wrong).  I think it's funny, looking back on it now, it was as if somehow she had some master key to my codex and was reading me (and my numerous codes) like a book.  That week she even saw and teased me about something that would take me a year to realize and several years to actually acknowledge and accept.
I can honestly, and sadly, say that over the past 5 years our friendship has gone through hell and back; but in all of it, I know I have learned a lot and it's probably safe to say that she has too.  From knowing Em, I have seen and experienced what true love, compassion, and mercy is all about.  Emily has one of the biggest and strongest hearts I know.  Sometimes it surprises me that we are still friends because had I been her, I probably would have dropped me and walked away a long time ago; but I am thankful that she didn't give up on me.
Because of her encouragement and support I have been able to face things that before I met her I was terrified of even talk about,  After I met Em, I started reaching out...and sometimes getting burned; and now I am just weeks away from a goal that I never thought was possible in my life.
Some people when they think of heroes, they think of celebrities or their parents; but one of my biggest heroes is Em.  She so strong, brave, compassionate, merciful, and truly loving person and a great and beautiful friend.  My life wouldn't be what it is today if Emily hadn't come into it.  I will forever be thankful for her and will always strive to be the kind of friend she has been to me.
I love you so much sissy, always.  Thank you for helping me through my dark days and for reminding me (a lot) that I was worth it and for telling me that I didn't need who know who to survive anymore. Hugs

No comments: