Yesterday, someone who I consider a friend, said something that really got me thinking. She was talking about how our relationship started and sort of what the base of it is; which basically is God/church. and I started thinking. That is sort of how it is with most of my friends now, we are friend because of my involvement with church, I don't know that I would have still been friends with them if it were not for church. I'm going down the list of my friends right now and trying to think if we have something that connects us that isn't just church or God; and right now I can only really think of one long time friend that our relationship really is a multi-dimensional friendship, and that friend is Emily.
Though it is true that if one of us hadn't of gone to church camp 5 1/2 years ago, we might not have been friends; but our relationship is more based on shared similarities than it is on God or church or even spirituality in general. Within a couple days of meeting Em, I told her that we were like soul sisters or something because our lives seem to be oddly similar; and I knew from that week that something would be missing in my life if she and I weren't friends. And even though we have not physically seen each other face to face since that week; we are still close (I tell her everything, and we talk to each other about stuff we would just tell anyone), and I still consider her my best friend and apart of my family.
Out side of Em, right now I can only think of maybe few newer friendships, and one older friendship that might have a potential for being that kind of friendship that isn't solely a God-friendship.
All that to say, its kinda weird to think that if I left church, or God in general; I really wouldn't have friends. I mean, I could get some new friends of course, but really, right now I would have to start over. This really makes me wonder about how I make friends (and kinda makes me want to ask my current friends how they see our relationship is connected)
No comments:
Post a Comment