Thursday, January 27, 2011

Goals for 2011

Ok so I was reading my friend Lauren's blog a second ago and she asked a couple questions, one more serious the other more for fun. I think I'm going to try to answer them here because I need something to occupy my screaming mind at the moment.

Question 1: "what are my new years resolutions/goals for 2011?"
Question 2: "what are some of your favorite movies"

Going against my normal flow of things I am answering question 2 first.

My favorite movies




My all time favorite non-Disney movie would be the Anne of Green Gables series (you can't split them up). The reason I love these movies so much is because in a lot of ways I find myself relating to Anne. She has a huge imagination and when given the chance to basically start her life over again seems to try to escape her life and her past by imagining a new one; but in time she finds and opens herself up to love, family, friends, and crazy adventures. Anne maybe a girl but that doesn't limit who she is or what she can or will accomplish. This story just really inspires me to dream, dream beyond reality even with that reality staring me in the face; and to try to forget one's faults and mistakes because, as quoted from the movie, "tomorrow is always new, with no mistakes in it".
Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie. In short I love Aladdin. He is alone in the world but dreams of a better life and of a future love. And on the plus side I the adventure and kicking the bad guy's butt. :-D
Ok now on to question 1. My goals for this year.
1. Make it to 6:30 p.m on June 26, 2011. Anyone reading this should know what I mean by this goal, and if you don't read my previous blog. But if I make it to this goal it will mark for me what I consider to be my first personal accomplishment that I have complete for me and not because it was expected of me. And I think I have finally come to the conclusion that I need to make it to this date, not because it's unhealthy or anything like that; but because it's a goal I have had now for a year and a half; and maybe if I accomplish it I can start to believe that I can really succeed at something.
2. Get a Job. That pretty much says it. I hope by the end of the year that I can find a job where I can use my degree, but for now, I just need any job. I really feel like a bum without one.
3. Get back on my exercise/nutrition plan. Hey just fyi, this is the first time I didn't call it a diet, go me. But for serious, when I was working out (or doing something active, like running around campus doing stuff for school), I felt better. And it gave me time to practice being nice to myself because this area has always been a hard place for me where the lines of healthy and abuse became blurred.
4. Give myself a break. All my life I have ruled my life with expectations, should's and should not's, but rarely have I ever really stepped back and asked "what do I want?" Or "what is good for me?" I have always thought it was selfish to do that. But earlier this year I resigned from the position I held at my old church, and I have decided that I am really going to try to...I guess see myself as my own ministry for now. To get to know me, what I like and don't like. What I believe and don't believe and why. And to find dreams that I can have that aren't dependent on whether or not I hide from others, or what they say or thing; but dreams that are based on my passions. In other words, just re-defining my dreams so that they are less dependent on others and more dependent on my desire to see my passions fulfilled.
Ok that's it for now. Thanks Lauren for the idea, and thank you for all your support and encouragement, I hope that you are right.

1 comment:

Lauren Rachelle said...

I like Aladdin too :) And you're most welcome...I have no doubt in my mind.